Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A"tent"tion To Detail Is The Way To Camp....You Would Think...

Phew....Just returned from the Heaven's Gate Farm camping trip and needless to say, I could use a nice long nap on my Heavenly cloud.  Don't get me wrong, it was extremely fun, but I think that most of my fatigue is the result of running around for the last three days!  To start things off, apparently word got out that Seattle Slew was bringing his new tent, (the one that you throw out into the air and it opens on it's own), because within minutes of arriving at our desired Heavenly destination, there were tents FLYING uncontrollably up into the air!!  It was almost as if a bell rang and a starting gate opened - they all seemed to shoot out at the exact same time.  It was not like anybody even discussed where they wanted their tents to be set up, they just started wheeling them.  Hey guys, these tents open on their own, but they don't choose and clear a campsite for you!!  GEESH!!  There was absolutely no co-ordination, no destination, and no estimation with regards to where and when these "circular discs" would land (Yes, some malfunctioned and decided NOT to open and ended up skidding across the Heavenly lake like "skipping" stones!)  OOPS!  Thankfully I packed my handy dandy camping book:


Now for those of you who are excellent Earthly campers, well, you could pretty much sent up a tent blindfolded no doubt, but for most of us at Heaven's Gate Farm, well, we need a little extra help.  The thing that stands out to me the most about this camping book....well, take a look at the Earthly family on the cover...don't they look calm, refreshed, enjoying themselves...ahhh, such an idyllic setting.  As I held up the cover of the book in front of me, a warm feeling approached, but then as I slowly lowered the book down, the scene out in front of me was COMPLETE HEAVENLY CHAOS!!  The exact OPPOSITE of the book cover!!!  *slaps Heavenly hand to forehead*  SOMEBODY decided to start launching chocolate dip doughnuts into the air and then catch them in their Heavenly mouth...Not mentioning any names though (JOHN HENRY...ahem!!) While looking to my left I see that the Heavenly marshmallow cart had been tipped over and Vanilla Mice were now using them as a Heavenly trampoline/dance floor...Needless to say I will NOT be eating s'mores now, that's for SURE!!  And to my right.....SLEW has somehow been overtaken by his tent!!!  HUH??  How the heck did that happen??!!  I rushed over to see what happened and when I questioned Slew (I could see him moving around in the canvas like a snake under a carpet!) he mumbled that the tent opened fine, but then when he climbed in it, it mysteriously closed back up on him!!  That is ABSOLUTELY impossible!  What are the Heavenly odds of that happening??!!  I told him to hold tight and I would get Barbaro, Affirmed and Alydar to help him out!  (Was getting those three to help him really a good idea?  Hindsight is 20/20 I guess!  That and the fact that his tent landed on a Heavenly ant hill....OH MY!!)  *sigh*  And if things weren't happening at lightning speeds, I peered over my shoulder and saw Sirrus the Heavenly gopher and Barry the Heavenly beaver with a set of Heavenly blueprints in their hands, er ah, paws, er, whatever they have.....They were both wearing Heavenly hard hats, which I thought was odd since I only asked them to begin working on getting a campfire started!  Rushing over I asked them how they were doing, and if they needed any help....Um, after listening to their plan on building a fire (Which took 30 minutes), I came to the conclusion that not only would we need a building permit for the foundation, but we may want to call your Earthly Guinness Book of World Records for the sheer height of it!! YIKES!!!  After explaining to them that it would be virtually impossible to cook s'mores on a 40 foot flame, the boys decided that a smaller campfire would suffice...YA THINK???!  I scurried back over to Slew, (Who of course was still engulfed in canvas), and asked Barbaro, Affirmed and Alydar if they had made any progress getting him out.  Their answer?  "Oh, you actually wanted us to help him out of there?" *again, slaps Heavenly hand to forehead*  Ah, yes please!  And from beyond the canvas you could hear a muffled, "Yes please!"  I pointed out where I thought the zipper on the tent was and asked them to get him out of there pronto because apparently I had to go and grab the Heavenly flashlights out of Assault and Seabiscuit's hooves....they were going around clicking it on and off under their chins, shouting "boo" to everyone....Ah guys, not only will you waste the battery...it's not even dark yet!!  And after 10 minutes of trying to explain why telling scary ghosts stories are much more effective at night, I gave up when Assault quipped, "BOO" in the middle of one of my sentences!! *done*  Of course Secretariat was building Ruffian a hut for all of her Heavenly luggage...I think that thing was the size of a warehouse it was so big!!  And to think he built that using branches, leaves, and Heavenly logs....WOW, pretty impressive...I have nicknamed them Mr. and Mrs. Howell.....(Gilligan Island Reference)...Speaking of branches, leaves and logs....The air had quickly filled with smoke, which can only mean that the campfire is not a campfire, but a smoke show....which was clear when I could no longer see anything...nothing...nada...zip!!  After checking in with Sirrus and Barry (When I finally could see them), they guaranteed me that everything was under control and that a tent had accidentally flown into the Heavenly campfire.  A tent???  What tent??  Who's tent??  Slew had immediately come to mind, and when the smoke cleared I could see a dishevelled Slew standing among Barbaro, Affirmed, and Alydar who were all laughing hysterically!!  I asked Barbaro how they got Slew out of the tent. (Did I really want to know the answer to that??  Too late!!)  He told me that after they had tried to unzip the tent, which apparently got stuck, they ended up hoisting him in the catapult....Wait, first of all, WHO brings a catapult camping??  Does anyone see the mother and father on the cover of that camping book loading their kids in a catapult??  Anyone see that??  And I certainly didn't read that in my "Camping for Dummies" book!!  And second of all, WHY would you load him into it...tent and all????  Alydar said that it was the best plan that they could come up with.  Seriously??  The best plan??  You guys didn't think a pair of scissors would have been a little easier??  *another sigh*  Barbaro continued the story by saying after they shot Slew out of the catapult, the tent landed on a tree branch, which in turn, tugged on the zipper, opened it, and that eventually allowed Slew to slide out of it and land all four Heavenly hooves safely on the ground!!  Looking perplexed I asked how his tent then ended up in the campfire?  Affirmed looked at Alydar and vice versa, then Alydar mumbled something about Slew wanting to see what would happen if you put it on the fire...HUH??  What did you think would happen??  Did you think it would create rainbows and lollipops??!!  Needless to say, when all was said and done, we really did end up having a great time camping.  Once everyone settled in (Slew shared a tent with Phar Lap, next to his boomerang), we sang campfire songs and ate giant s'mores (Not me, you couldn't get me near one of those with a ten foot pole after seeing Vanilla Mice break dancing on the marshmallows).  All in all....a good time was had by all.......Now, off to cloud for me......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A Cherub's Welcome To:

Private Mambo



18 comments:

  1. Oh my good grief, y'all had quite the camping trip! Why is it that families like those on the 'dummies' book lull the rest of us in to thinking that camping is so easypeasy? lol!! Smart move, EH, on not eating the trampoline smores!

    It's sweet to see Prinz. Gotta go let Sue know:)

    Happy nappy, EH!! No Mead Day drinks for YOU!!
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Earthly Wednesday Morning Famblee!!

    Linda~You're so right...when I first picked up that Earthly camping book I thought this would be a breeze!! Never say the words, "How hard could it be?" LOL!! The "smoke show" was on your Earthly Sunday night and I bet SOME people down on your Earth thought there must have been a giant cumulus cloud up in the sky....NOPE...that was our campfire!! (If you want to call it a campfire!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, y'all!! Hot and dry in the South Wing...we need R A I N badly!!

    Some peoples LOVE camping....me, not so much. When I was a Girl Scout I camped in the middle of the winter...in Michigan. We had to use newpaper on the snow (before pitching the tents) for insulation and boil down the snow for drinking water! I won't bother telling about making the outdoor latrine. lol!! The smores and hot lemonade made it worth it, though. I received the Order of the Purple Toe award:)

    Did y'all have anything to do with the appearance of the Northern Lights?

    Wonder where our Lynne is?
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I am....sorry...been a bit distracted the past few days....but SO ENJOYED reading this latest episode in the life/times of the Heaven's Gate Farm Residents...and their most patient/loving Farm Manager!! Wheeeeeee:)

    Linda...I LOVED camping as a Girl Scout...except for after the evening shower..all clean and off to the big campfire...slathered in mosquito repellant...(sp?) and the dust from trail got stuck all over my feet/legs beneath my capris:/ that part didn't feel 'sew gud' to me...and then trying to get all that dirt and icky repellant clnd off by the time we slid into our sleeping bags...ewwwwww! But the rest of it was GREAT/GRAND/WONDERFUL FUN to me!! My first-ever camping experience! I even loved it when my kids were young and we'd pack up the Jeep Wagoneer and head 'up-country'...of course it helped me that my then husband was 'all knowing' of how to assemble and set up the tent! I was busy fixing the picnic table and the trusty Coleman stove and 'making nice' outdoors:)

    Jiffy-Pop Popcorn over the campfire...sharing it with many Raccoons:) each night...those were, for me, Happy Days each summer:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, it's Mead Day, y'all! It's hot still in this south wing so I'd like something really refreshing to drink. Hmmm, maybe a Raspberry vodka and sprite would be the thing to cool me off:)

    EH, you reminded me, and Lynne, too, by the sound of it, of fun camping memories! Thanks!!

    Got lotsa fun plans for this weekend!! Elk's for dancing tonight and tomorrow night a wedding. Last week it was in reverse:)

    Cheers, y'all!!
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heavenly Family:)

    Gosh! Time flies if we have fun or not! I haven't been here in 'forever'...been so scattered and kinda stressed out! Katie was sick, she's been in the shop for the past two weeks..but I got her picked up y'day and she's purring like a little kitten:)

    I talked to our Angel Dee this afternoon...everyone, check your emails...she's good...there's news there in your 'inboxes':)

    I'm gonna be pet/house sitting for the next few days for a friend of mine..I'll be hanging out with SIX little doggys, THREE big doggys, FOUR kittehs (one of 'em needs insulin injections morning and nighttime) and TWO very beautiful Angel Fishes:) Call me Dr. Doolittle...or Auntylynne...whichever applies:)

    Won't be around a puder much, but will check in at night when I'm home again...I am here tonight to say Happy Friday..HAPPY MEAD DAY:)
    xolynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL..me again...my word verification was:

    MATING :-O I am hoping perhaps if the younguns are partying this weekend...a chaperone will be present!!! OMGoodness!!:) EH..you best get your chaperone hat cleaned up and ready for duty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL @ Lynne's word verification!!! Too funny to ME:)

    It was great news you sent us, Lynne! I'm happy for our sweet Dee that she's got a smally doggy to love. AJ will keep her company...she needs that so badly! I'll send a note to her this weekend and, of course, a card for her happy day:)

    We got rain this morning in the South Wing! Yippee!! There's more to come, too, because of Tropical Depression Five. I'm tickled pink over the thought of a rainy weekend.

    Lynne, dog/cat/fishy sitting is gonna be a fun weekend for YOU! I know that you'll have the best time loving them all. Glad to know that Katie is purring once again. I know that it was hard on you with her out of commission for so long!!

    Cheers, y'all!!
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, EH, could ya please have the equines and furbabies stop bowling and just play in the sprinklers and splash pools? The south wing is just missing the rain...getting alota thunder though... and we desperately need it! Thanks, sweetie:)

    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  10. TGIMD ~ Thank goodness it's MEAD DAY!! It's been a rough week so far for me in the south wing work wise. I'll take ANYTHING you slide down the bar...even if Slew concocted it! lol!!

    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Wednesday mornin', y'all!

    My flip calendar says 'Horse sense is what keeps horses from betting on what people will do'. I just think that is too FUNNY:) It brightened my day!!

    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everyone!!

    Calling our Heavenly Farm Manager....Hello?? I hope the Heavenly Computer hasn't taken another 'dive':( Hope all is well at HGF....

    Linda, yes! Dreadful to not have a car for so many weeks...drove me nuts..Having to rely upon lovely neighbors for rides to town for groceries or seeds for the birdies/squirrels!! You just don't realize how much a part of your life a car is, until you don't have one! OMGoodness!

    Had a terrible week...:( Sunday evening got a call from a neighbor, her brother-in-law, another neighbor was killed in a car accident...about an hour from home. He'd been in NV for a few days helping one of their grown children with a houshold project...and apparently drifted off the road...over corrected and went down a steep embankment and his car slammed into a tree!! Such a shock...such a loss to the neighborhood..and his poor family! :(

    Then, early Monday morning in my email, two messages telling me our family physician for 30+years suffered an apparent heart attack on Sunday..and he died!!! WGB*BEST DOC IN WHOLE WORLD*...he's gone....leaves his wife of 35 years and 10 grandchildren...one great-grandchild still in the 'oven' he will never get to meet now...nephews...God Children...2K patients...he birthed over 2K babies in his years of practice here...some of which have had him there when their own babes came into the world....he was responsible for starting Hospice in our county all those years ago...A TERRIBLE loss for not just his family, but this entire community...he was a month younger than me, this should NOT have happened!

    He'd just taken some of his grandkids on a big camping trip...they all had such a wonderful time and the kids were all telling a friend of mine who saw them at a local business..."He's the BEST GRANDPA IN THE WORLD." :) I can just see him smiling so BIG listening to them tout his 'grandfatherliness' :) Gosh, I'll miss him!

    Anyway..I missed Mead last night..and sure could go for about 20 of them right now:/

    xolynne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well......it's been a while since anyone has visited! Where is everybody?

    Lynne, I sure hope this week is going better than last week! (((lynne))) Sure sounds like you coulda used a big hug, sweetie.

    Well, family, I'm so very sad and super excited all at the same time. Even though we haven't sold our present house I've gone ahead and signed papers on a cute little cottage in town!! That's the exciting part! However, the sad part is that I'll be leaving all my cats and my sweet little Piper who are buried on the land out here. Maggie and Domino will come with me cuz they are in 'ginger jars' and are totable:) EH, please let my Piper girl and ALL my kittehcats know that even though they'll not be coming to live with us, they'll ALWAYS be in my heart!!! Thanks, sweetie!

    Missed Mead again this week:(

    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Linda...It's SO EXCITING...and yes, sad too...but let's concentrate on the HAPPY/EXCITING PART, OK? :) I'm so glad for you and yours! Wheeee! I know you'll get the cottage all fixed up so cute...and I want PICS, pls!

    EH...YOU THERE??? I'm truly afraid the puder has taken another dive...I'm so sorry! We'll be here waiting though...Never Fear!

    HAPPY FRIDAY NIGHT MEAD & GREET AT *QUID'S LAST DITCH*...I'm raising a glass of Lipton Green Tea and Citrus to yole!
    xxoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Mead Day mornin', y'all, from a sunny, finally cooler, South Wing. Hottest summer on record for us down here w/ over 2 months of 100 degrees plus.

    The little foal at the nearby farm I pass on my way to work is growing and changing color. Was kinda a buckskin color and now is turning a golden red...it's a cutie for sure!!!

    EH, we sure do miss you...and Rainbow Dee and Sue, too! Thanks for coming every now and then, Lynne:) Hope things are going well w/ you!!

    Cheers, y'all:)
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning..*FIRST DAY OF FALL*, Heavenly Family!

    I am SURE there is yet another problem with the website and or the Heavenly Computer, because no update/words from our Heavenly Farm Manager in such a long time now:( I hope sooner than later, Sirrus might find the fix and get 'er done so yole can come back and give us those glimpses we love so much.

    In the meantime I thought I'd post here to say 'hi' and please tell *SLEW* his friend at ABR,Debbie LA posted the following link to a WONDERFUL story about our HERO...Mr. C. Attle Slew:)

    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2010/09/21/the-life-and-death-of-seattle-slew.aspx

    Copy/paste into your browser..be prepared for needing tissues, I sure needed them, but mostly 'cause I love him so much...and it made me miss reading about him here like before:) What an AMAZING horse you were when here, *SLEW* and at Heaven's Gate Farm, too! I love you to PIECES:)

    Linda: I hope your packing and deciding what to bring along and what to sell or give away isn't making you too crazed...it's a daunting job, packing up and moving...I pray I never have to do it again! I want to leave this little house 'feet first' and not under my own power! I do make concerted efforts to go thought cupboards and closets once a year or so to make the job for my chilluns easy as possible...I have even written them little notes enclosed in small zip bags...explaining what the 'parts' are for...I'm doing all I can to help them, even after I'm gone:)

    Our weather here this morning does feel 'fall like'..it's a little bit 'chillsey' but by week's end we are forecast to be into the low to mid-90's...summertime in these foothills fades slowly.

    I hope everyone has a good day...I hope too, that maybe next time I stop in here, our HEAVENLY FARM MANAGER and all those HEAVENLY RESIDENTS will be back up to their antics:)
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess it's now 'and then there were two' :( I'm with Lynne in hoping that Sirrus gets the computer glitches straightened out, and soon!!

    We moved this weekend!!! Yes, Lynne, it's driving me somewhat crazy on deciding what goes where in the new house. I had my sister in law help me out and now everything is in place and looking quite cute, if I do say so myself! lol!! It's just the perfect cottage, a sunny yellow with black shutters, and ALL my stuff found a spot, which tickles me pink cuz I'm NOT a good share-er at all!! Coda and Badgley are settled in nicely and the doggers and other kittehcats will come once their houses are built.

    The little girl who'd lived in the house came by w/ her daddy to finish getting some of their things and she went to one of the hall closets and told me 'this is our Christmas closet'...sure hope she doesn't come back again (to that same closet) and tell me the same thing because now it's the LIQUOR closet!!! Cheers:)

    Rainy here today. It was badly needed! I'm looking forward to fallish weather and less humidity. It's 100° in the West Wing today. Poor Lynne!

    Take care!
    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hellloooooo.... It's Mead Day Friday @ Quids and there isn't anyone here to celebrate it but little ole me! Come on, peoples, where are you at?!?

    Has Real Quiet settled in nicely? I bet he was sure surprised when everyone met him at the Bridge and then showed him all the super places and things to do at the Farm.

    Cheers, y'all! As much as I hate drinking alone, I'm still up for one today!! LOL!!

    linda ~ ga

    ReplyDelete